Makes 2 servings of 5 falafel each
For the falafel
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 spring onions roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chilli finely chopped (or a sprinkle of dried chipotle chili)
- 1/ teaspoon garlic powder (or one small fresh clove crushed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond nut butter
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- Generous pinch mineral rich salt
- 1 generous teaspoon ghee, organic butter or coconut oil (if you want the vegan option) to fry
For the tahini dressing
- 1 generous teaspoon tahini
- Juice 1/2 fresh lemon
- Water to thin
Heat a fan assisted oven to 220°C/430°F.
Line a pan with baking paper. Peel and cut the sweet potato into chunks and roast for 25 minutes.
Whilst this is cooking prepare and add all of the other falafel ingredients (except the frying oil) into a food processor. You can also prepare the tahini dressing by mixing all of the ingredients together. Once the sweet potato has finished cooking add to the food processor too. Pulse to get a smooth consistency (approx 5 minutes). You will need to stop and scrape a couple of times. Next remove the mixture from the processor and using 1 tablespoon per falafel roll into small balls.
You can heat as they are now and also cold if you like but in case you want to heat then use a small amount of the oil and toss continuously in the heat for around 3-4 minutes.
Serve with a green salad, avocado & quinoa. Or with grilled roasted aubergine works well too. Drizzle with the tahini dressing and enjoy!